Our network


Owner of Greenville inn destroyed by fire plans to rebuild

GREENVILLE, Mich. (WZZM) - A Greenville man lost his business and home when the Westwood Inn caught fire.

A passerby spotted smoke coming from the inn around 4:30 p.m. Sunday. Crews fought the fire by carving a hole into the roof of the inn with chain saws and cutting into the ceiling of one of the units.

"That allows some of the heat and smoke to exit the building," said Sergeant Gary Valentine. "It makes it easier for us to find the fire."

Thick black smoke billowed from the roof but there was no clear sign flames.

"It is an extra challenge. Think of it as walking into a dark room and closing your eyes and doing everything by feel," Valentine said.

Firefighters contained the fire to the front section of the roof by a fire wall, and then extinguished the flames.