Our network

Get Help To Pay Off Past Due Property Taxes in Montcalm County | Politics

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Get Help To Pay Off Past Due Property Taxes in Montcalm County
Politics, Savings
Get Help To Pay Off Past Due Property Taxes in Montcalm County



Stanton, Michigan -- From Montcalm County Treasurer, JoAnne Vukin

The Montcalm County Treasurer has signed a voluntary agreement with Michigan Homeowner Assistance Nonprofit Housing Corporation, operating under MSHDA, to participate in the Help for Hardest Hit Program. This is part of a federally funded program designed to help eligible homeowners who are struggling to make mortgage or tax payments and stay in their homes.  Michigan received a total of $498.6 million in Emergency Stabilization Act funds back in 2010 to operate this program and still has about 90% of these funds available. The program is known as Step Forward Michigan.   The rescue funds provided to homeowners is not required to be paid back as long as the homeowner remains in the home for five years.

“For those who can document some type of financial hardship Step Forward Michigan has programs that deal with Loan Rescue, Unemployment Mortgage Subsidy, Mortgage Modification Plan, Principal Curtailment and the part I am most excited about is Delinquent Real Estate Tax Payment”, said Vukin.  “Delinquent tax payment is a new element to the program and it allows homeowners to receive up to $30,000 to pay past due property taxes, or taxes and mortgage payments combined”.  In all of these programs, homeowners must show that they have suffered a hardship, and that they can sustain the home going forward.

If you have suffered a hardship that is preventing you from making your mortgage payments or paying property taxes, you can get help catching up on those back payments. “Homeowners are 70% more successful in obtaining a loan modification and receiving financial assistance when working with Certified Housing Counseling Professionals. James Buxton is a Housing Counselor with MSU Extension and is servicing our people, said Vukin”. He has successfully assisted a number of homeowners access Step Forward Michigan resources to resolve their housing crisis.”  Contact a certified Housing Counselor to get FREE help at Ionia County MSU Extension, 616-527-5357 or apply on-line to Step Forward Michigan’s website http://www.stepforwardmichigan.org/.

For questions regarding delinquent property taxes visit the Montcalm County Treasurer’s website at http://www.montcalm.org/countytreasurer.asp  or call the Office at (988) 831-7334.

Politics, Savings