Our network

Owner of Greenville inn destroyed by fire plans to rebuild | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Owner of Greenville inn destroyed by fire plans to rebuild
News

GREENVILLE, Mich. (WZZM) - A Greenville man lost his business and home when the Westwood Inn caught fire.

A passerby spotted smoke coming from the inn around 4:30 p.m. Sunday. Crews fought the fire by carving a hole into the roof of the inn with chain saws and cutting into the ceiling of one of the units.

"That allows some of the heat and smoke to exit the building," said Sergeant Gary Valentine. "It makes it easier for us to find the fire."

Thick black smoke billowed from the roof but there was no clear sign flames.

"It is an extra challenge. Think of it as walking into a dark room and closing your eyes and doing everything by feel," Valentine said.

Firefighters contained the fire to the front section of the roof by a fire wall, and then extinguished the flames.

Owner Yogendra Vansadin says he did not hear any smoke detectors or smell any smoke. It was a passerby that came pounding on his window that let him know there was smoke coming out of the back roof.

"We didn't just lose a business it's home too," Vansadin said.

Guests were checked out by noon, so the couple and their daughter were the only ones forced from the inn.

"I'm glad that no one got hurt," Vansadin said.

But the Westwood Inn was destroyed by the smoke and water damage. Crews salvaged what they could and Vansadin says he will rebuild his livelihood and his home.

News